Saturday, November 20, 2010

I just need more free time!


2nd attempt after wet sanding

I have not made any major progress over the past two weeks.  Today was supposed to be a day of working with the intake manifold, but I ran out of free time quickly.  I did start restoring a few parts such as the front turn signals.  One of the gaskets had leaked on the right housing and it was completely filled with rust.  I am using Rust-Oleum rust converter on the small rust and it did a good job.  It goes on milky and turns into a black epoxy when dry.  I used a good primer over that and added the reflective paint.  It actually came out good.  I think I will sand and do one of them again. As you can see from the picture, the reflective paint shows anything not completely smooth.  I think a second coat of primer and some light sand paper will make it look new.
I cleaned the exhaust manifolds, which always leaked on the right side.  They are shot.  There is a lot of pitting around the gasket area and there is not much left to be milled.  I had forgotten that one of the bolts broke off many years ago and it was drilled out.  The bolt is not threaded correctly. 







No comments:

Post a Comment