Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Motor work

With the onset of cold and nasty weather, I have decided to spend the first part of the winter with the motor.  I have cleaned the workbench off and started the process of rebuilding the motor.  Everything looks good so far and with a little hard work, I plan on re-assembly soon.
I have identified the 390 the car currently has.  It was manufactured on August 31, 1967. 
The oil pan was filled with sludge, as I expected from the years of sitting.  What I did not expect was the sludge under the oil baffle on the intake manifold.  I originally was not going to take off the baffle, but after reading in the forums, it sounded like a good idea.  I will have to drill and tap the attachment rivets, but it was well worth getting under the baffle to see the mess.
I have a few options for gaskets and rebuild kits, but I think I may have new old stock kits from eBay soon. All of the lifters looked clean with no wear. 
 
I did start to catalog and clean the emblem's around the vehicle.  Looks like most of it will have to be saved due to the price.  Most of the outer emblem chrome is only slightly pitted.



No comments:

Post a Comment