Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Simple Black

 Doing little by little each night pays off. All of the motor is complete but the intake and heads are not bolted down yet. I took some time to finish off the intake this week. That was the last part to complete before starting the process of getting the motor completely assembled. I still need to paint the motor, but I think it will be easier to bolt on the intake and heads before finishing the paint.
I did spend a lot of time getting the break drums cleaned and painted. Even though I will be putting disc brakes on the front, I will probably assemble the front to make a rolling frame.
There is a slight update on the rear control arm bushings. I was able to get OEM bushings from a local store very cheap. I know I wanted to use poly bushings but some of my fellow restorers have warned against using them on old control arms. I actually got the OEM cheaper than the poly bushings.
The next step will be pressing in the bushings and then trying to find the dreaded rear upper bushings. I have a couple of leads and hopefully it will pan out.
I was looking for the tracking bar bushings today and I had to laugh at O'Reilly Auto Parts. They were the only place that have the bushings available and they wanted $187.99 each!! Honestly, one of the bushings fell out back in 1988 and it was replaced with a rubber garden hose that worked fine for 10 years. I will not go to that extreme. Adjustable tracking bars are available fairly cheap with the bushings included and there are several other options.  Even OReilly shows on their web page that these are the same bushings used on 532 different cars dating up to 1973.  A quick search for the 1973 LTD bushings yielded a pair from J.C. Whitney for 19.98.

No comments:

Post a Comment