Saturday, October 16, 2010

Acorns everywhere!

I moved the frame outside and removed the transmission.  I sprayed the frame off for an initial cleaning and decided to run the hose down the access port in one side of the tube frame.  The front hole produced acorns for over 45 minutes.   The right side was just as bad.  I probably had 30 pounds of acorns in the frame!
After cleaning, I was able to get a better look at the rust and what needs to be done.  The rear cross bar is the only part of the frame I may have to replace.  It is rusted, but not through.  Although it is surface rust, it is pitted pretty bad.  Once I sandblast, it will be easier to tell if it is salvageable.  I hit it with a hammer and it sounded solid, did not dent or crack.  Inside looked good, with no rust flakes anywhere. 



The transmission came out with no problems.  It worked well prior to sitting and still shifts fine.  Just to make sure, it is going to a transmission shop for rebuild.  That is one item I am not prepared to take on myself.  Nothing brings out neighbors like an old car frame in the driveway!

No comments:

Post a Comment